Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jackson's BFF

Jackson & Brynlyn



We had the wonderful opportunity to watch my 3-year-old niece Brynlyn for the past 10 days while her family was on Maui. She is Jackson's best friend and he was in heaven while she lived with us! These 2 monkeys had a total party and played hard! I had so much fun dressing her up in pink, dresses, and little pigtails! We LOVED having her here and miss her tremendously! (We're very thankful she only lives 10 minutes away from us!)

We kept very busy! Here are some of the fun things we did:

-swimming at Grandma Sugar's house
-play-dates with cousin Holly
-Lowe's Build-and-Grow helicopter project
-Grandpa Andersen's 82nd birthday party
-Arizona Museum for Youth



Brynlyn is a miracle CHD baby and has survived many heart surgeries. She's formula-fed through a gastric feeding tube ("G-tube" or "button"), as we're still teaching her to eat orally. She receives a continuous drip feed during the nighttime and bolus feedings every 3 hours during the daytime. I have a whole new appreciation for everything Susie does in caring for Brynlyn!!

Eric was amazing in helping me with Brynlyn's infusion pump each night. He checked on her multiple times during the night and would refill the pump. He was wonderful about changing her diapers, bathing her, and combing her curls! There's no way I could've done it without him. He's in Washington DC now speaking at a statistical conference and we all miss him.



Brynlyn communicates through sign language and it was so much fun learning some new signs from her! (My favorite is her sign for Mickey Mouse - it's beyond adorable!!) One day I was reading a book to her about pets and animals and she signed the names of all the pets as I read the story! She's a smarty-pants!! Jackson taught Brynlyn his sign for car-wash and it was too funny when they both begged to go to the car-wash at the same time! He also taught her his signs for Curious George and rubber stamp.



One night Jackson and Brynlyn were in the bathtub and I threw Eric's hairbrush and toothbrush in the water for them to groom themselves while bathing. I left for a quick second to get their diapers and when I came back Jackson had the hairbrush and was exfoliating his feet and Brynlyn had the toothbrush and was scratching her bum!! It took me a long time to stop laughing at that one!!

Holly, Brynlyn, & Jackson


Holly, Brynlyn, & Jackson


Jackson, Brynlyn, & Holly


Jackson


Brynlyn & Jackson


My favorite memory from her stay with us was when we went over to the West Valley to celebrate my Grandpa Andersen's 82nd birthday! Jackson and Brynlyn took one look at their pool and had to jump right in! (After all, it was 115 degrees!!) It started out as soaking their feet, then turned into swimming in their diapers, and ended with swimming naked! My grandparents were so gracious in accepting their enthusiasm and kept calling them 'Monkeys!' Seeing these 2 in action is truly something HILARIOUS!! My Grandma Ann served us lunch and lots of popsicles, and when we left my Grandpa said, "Having these 2 here was the best birthday present I could've ever asked for!" So sweet and tender!

Grandpa, Grandma Sugar, Grandma Ann, Brynlyn, & Jackson




Popsicles before swimming


Popsicles after swimming




I can't put into words how special Brynlyn is to us. She and Jackson have always had a very unique and strong bond, and I love that they're best friends! As Jackson and I drove away from her house today after dropping her off, Jackson just started to cry and scream, "I want Brynlyn!" while looking wistfully where her car seat should have been. I started to cry with him. We miss her and our house feels peculiarly quiet and very lonely! Brynlyn has a very precious spirit and we have been blessed by having her in our home! We love you Brynlyn!

1 comment:

BUIS LIFE... said...

How fun for Jackson to be so close to family! It sounds like they are 2 peas in a pod. :)