Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Our 3-Year Wedding Anniversary




Today is our 3-Year Wedding Anniversary! We celebrated with a get-away to our favorite resort, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa. This is where we went on our wedding night before leaving for our Honeymoon and we love going back there each anniversary! It is like paradise. We had an amazing time and are grateful to my sister Susie for taking such good care of Jackson while we were away!

Eric is the perfect husband and I am so lucky to be married to him!

Here's some of our history in his own words:

The Courtship: October 2, 2004
We met through mutual friends over a poker game of Texas Hold 'Em. I knew the minute I met her that I wanted to ask her out, but had to keep my "poker face" on. :-) I asked for her number the next day and 8 months later I proposed!

The Proposal: June 25, 2005
I surprised Janelle with a scavenger hunt patterned after the Amazing Race TV show. She was given the first clue at her parents' house complete with Amazing Race jersey, backpack, GPS locator, and driver - videographer. Over the next 5 hours she traveled 140 miles to 12 memorable locations in the Phoenix metro area we had enjoyed on previous dates. At each location "pitstop", Janelle was met by a friend or family member with her next clue. Upon answering the clue correctly, they gave her the next "route marker" to find. Some unforgettable moments occurred along the way. At the 7th pitstop, Janelle was "yielded" for a prepared lunch at the home of my aunt & uncle. Re-energized, she continued gathering clues and finding pitstops until she was faced with a "detour" at her sister's house. Prevailing through these obstacles, Janelle arrived at the final location - the Gilbert Riparian Preserve - the location of our first date 8 months earlier. Greeted by her family (under the premise of a finish line) I congratulated her on her adventure and provided a symbolic description of the relationship between all the sites she had visited earlier that day. I knelt on one knee and proposed (and got a "yes"). Despite 6 months of planning, there were certainly some unexpected surprises. At pitstop 5 (Hyatt gondola), one of Janelle's nieces fell into a lake when no one was watching. Although Janelle's sister's flip flop was lost in the water, no one was hurt. At pitstop 6 (Fountain Hills Lake) there was some construction, so finding the exact location where we had our first kiss was a challenge. At pitstop 9 (Chandler Fashion Square Mall), there was an accidental meeting of Eric & Janelle outside Sears. At pitstop 10 (Eric's house) there was an answering machine message that almost gave the surprise away. At pitstop 11 (sibling home) a 5 year old niece was hyper from eating 5 Krispy Kreme donoughts while the 8 year old niece almost gave away the final location. All in all, Janelle persevered and made it a very memorable date (all captured on video).

8 comments:

Heather Collins said...

Congratulations! What a cute couple! I loved the story about the marriage proposal. That was so creative.

That is so awesome to get away for a bit to celebrate! How fun!!!

BUIS LIFE... said...

A very big CONGRATULATIONS to the both of you!! I love to hear stories about how couples met & courted. Yours is so cute :)

Anonymous said...

That is THE best version of a proposal I have ever heard....WOW!

Smith Family said...

I love that you go back there every year! We need to do that too! I loved the proposal story!

~MaDiSOn~ said...

Hey there Janelle, I found your blog off of Kimberly's. Jackson is getting so big! I hope that you are having a great time being a mom. It would be great if we could get together with Kimberly and get all the kids together. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jess'n'John said...

Happy Anniversary guys! :-) You are a great looking couple and Jackson is so cute! :-)

Pete & Kenna said...

That is a pretty amazing proposal! Such a cute, clever idea. Your family is so cute! Congrats.

Crandell Fam said...

Oh my gosh that is absolutely the most amazing and FANTASTIC proposal I have EVER heard of!! Woa...I need to have Troy read that. For me, the coolest part is all the thought and planning that Eric had to do. It's all about the thought. Cool!